Monday, November 15, 2010

Back to Knitting

Thank you all for your concern and good wishes for my parents. My father gets to go home today (after the better part of four weeks in the hospital!). My mother is holding steady in the health care center. I am knitting again. Here's a photo I took of them on my father's 89th birthday last February (I knitted that sweater for him in 1980 and he still wears it almost every day in the winter).


I spent last weekend at the Knitter’s Review Knitting Retreat (in western MA), hosted by the Clara Parkes herself. I taught a morning class on cast-on techniques, and afternoon class on bind-off techniques, and another morning class on the mathematics of knitting (which really should have been named “Intro to Sweater Design”). I had been nervous because I hadn’t spent much time prepping for the classes, but they went well. I did some serious yarn shopping, too. There were booths for Quince & Company, Foxfire Fiber, String Theory, Spirit Trails, Briar Rose, and Kathryn Alexander yarns. I am keeping a positive outlook that my parents will stay healthy and let myself get yarn to make several pairs of socks as well as three (3!) sweaters.

Now, I am in Portland, Maine, where I’m staying with Pam Allen, the Queen of Quince. This morning I got to see my purple scarf photographed (by Carrie Bostik Hoge). It is knitted with Tern, a wool-silk blend, and will be available on the Quince & Co website as soon as it gets tech edited.


Then I got to tour the warehouse. Just look at all those bags and bags and boxes and boxes of yarn. Talk about heavenly fumes!

I had so many ideas of what to do with the yarn that I agreed to knit a new project for Quince every four to six weeks.
Here’s the tentative list of what I plan to knit in the next year:
1.     Not-Very-Lacy Shawl out of Tern
2.     Textured Cap out of Lark or Osprey
3.     Girly Baby Sweater out of Tern
4.     Baby Socks out of Tern
5.     House Socks out of Puffin
6.     Child’s Chunky Sweater out of Puffin
7.     Baby Sweater out of Chickadee
8.     Cabled Socks out of Chickadee
9.     Cabled Hand Warmers out of Lark
10.  Cowl with Decorative CO and BO out of Tern
11.  Reversible Scarf out of Lark

Now that I’ve announced all these projects, I'll feel compelled to finish them. I’ll keep you posted as I make progress, one project at a time.

6 comments:

Virginia G said...

Ooh yay! I'm glad you got to get some lovely yarn and hang out with knitters. Sounds like you needed it.

And also glad to hear about your folks.

Looking forward to all these lovely patterns!

Donna said...

This is very good news about your mom and dad - I just finished a pair of your Punctuated Rib socks modified for my mom's preferences and I was hoping you'd get good news about your folks.

Debbie said...

So glad to hear the good news about your folks! Sounds like you got some much needed "Retail Therapy", I love the purple scarf and will keep an eye out for it.

Mona said...

It's so good to hear that your parents are fairing better and that you can consider fun again. The knitting retreat is one that has appealed to me for several years. I'm glad you had a good time but where are the pictures? I want to live vicariously through your travels! I'm looking forward to all of the blog posts about the upcoming Quince projects!

cat@catbordhi.com Bordhi said...

It was lovely to sit with you at a few meals during Clara's retreat, Ann. And your mom looks so much like you, and your dad's sweater is gorgeous and of course he wears it almost daily during the winter. It keeps him warm both physically and lovingly. May he heal and ride his bike again, safely!

Anonymous said...

Ann, it was our great pleasure to spend time with you at the KR Retreat. You shared so much of your wisdom without even trying. Can't wait to see the finished Tern shawl and the pattern for your purple scarf! ~ NutmegOwl