Monday, December 6, 2010

What Have I Gotten Myself Into?

As some of you know, I've been working on a book called Sock Knitting Master Class, which will be out in the summer of 2011. In addition to 17 sock patterns by master sock knitters, this book contains insights into how those designers (including, but not limited to, such notables as Cookie A, Kathryn Alexander, Cat Bordhi, Nancy Bush, Evelyn Clark, Anne Hanson, Meg Swanson, and Anna Zilboorg), went about creating fantastic socks. It's a smorgasbord of inspiration and technique, whether you like to work with cables, stranded colorwork, lace, twisted stitches, slip stitches, intarsia, shadow knitting, or entrelac and whether you like to work from the top down or from the toe up. The cover (below) shows just one of the innovative designs (this one's by Deborah Newton) you'll find in the book.



The book is in production now, which usually means that an author's work is mostly done. But notice the red circle in the lower right quadrant? It says that an instructional DVD will be included. I met with the folks at Interweave today to go over the contents of said DVD. Taping is scheduled for January 11, 2011, and I don't mind admitting that I'm in a bit of a panic. Not only do I have to knit a boatload of samples in order to describe various stages of various techniques, but I have toTALK in front of a CAMERA. Despite my fears that this is going to be detrimental to overall book sales, I'm told there's no getting out of the taping. But, between you and me, it's perfectly fine for you to buy the book and never watch the DVD. 
 

9 comments:

JelliDonut said...

If you half as great on camera as you are in person, this will be a slam dunk. Took a class from you at Recycled Lamb and you were awesome! Can't wait for this book. I hope it sells well.

Kathy... said...

There are few sock knitting books that interest me any more - I have a huge collection already, plus I have knit socks since the 80's. If I can't do it by now, well...there's no hope. But with that said, this one - I will buy! Your little tease is enough to get me on board. I'm sure you'll do fine with the DVD, but actually I may be that one person that does buy the book, but never watches the DVD. I'm glad to know that it's ok with you!

Mona said...

The nice thing about speaking in front of a camera is that you have infinite "do overs" at your disposal. Well, at least until you run out of time. I'm sure the video will be great and I, for one, am looking forward to it.

Virginia G said...

I am sure you will be great!

Just remember that you're going to be teaching on something that you love! Your passion and happiness regarding the subject matter will shine through.

When my husband is on camera, he imagines that he's having a conversation with me, and that relaxes him. So my other piece of (completely unsolicited) advice is to imagine you're having a conversation with your best knitting buddy about knitting socks.

Pat's here said...

Ann, I have complete faith in you (I met you at Knitters' Retreat 2010) for this endeavor and I will look forward to having you autograph both the book and CD next November.

karen alho said...

You'll do fine. Since (according to rumor) you do great in a classroom setting try one of two things. Either pretend your favorite friend/student is in front of you or arrange to have it so. Maybe even a couple of people, not just one. Remember, because it is on tape you get a second chance when you put your foot in your mouth - something you don't get to do in the classroom!

Unknown said...

Totally looking forward to this new book. Go Ann!

Anne Lorene said...

I also have many sock knitting books, but this one looks like a keeper. I will keep checking back to see your progress and will probably pre-order a copy.
Anne from Portland, home of Sock Summit, 2009

Peggy H-R said...

I am soooo looking forward to this book--especially because of the DVD! I'm a visual-kinesthetic learner. DVDs are so helpful and I don't have to sit through pauses while they finish downloading like YouTube videos.