Saturday, December 31, 2011

Mock Cables and Lace

I've made my way to the Mock Cables and Lace socks, which marks the halfway point through the patterns in Sock Knitting Master Class.

At first, I thought I'd skip these socks since I knitted the originals for the book. But then I decided that I wanted to experience the pattern as other readers and knit them again. Besides, I really like these socks and I gave the originals to Julia Boyles, who did the great book design.
The originals were out of String Theory Bluestocking, which is a blend of 80% Blueface Leicester and 20% nylon. I don't have any more of this yarn on hand so I substituted Sanguine Gryphon (which will soon be split into two companies: www.verdantgryphon.com and www.cephalopodyarns.com) Bugga!, which is a blend of 80% superwash merino, 10% cashmere, and 10% nylon that has a round structure similar to Bluestocking.
Instead of working with one long circular needle in the magic-loop method as in the pattern, I chose to work this pair on my Signature double-pointed needles, which make easy work of twisted stitches, decreases, and 1/1 cables. I was also too lazy to use the k1, p1 cable method for casting on and used the Old Norwegian method instead (described on page 39).
The knitting is progressing quickly (probably because I've knitted these socks before) and I'm already at the heel.

1 comment:

Virginia G said...

I love that rich Pecan-y color. It's such a pretty stitch pattern, too.