Tuesday, January 10, 2012

That Scarf I'm Wearing


Every now and then I get a query about the scarf I'm wearing in my "about me" photo.
Though I'd love to claim it as my own design, it's Lisa Daehlin's Lacy Kerchief Scarf from the Summer 2005 issue of Interweave Knits. The scarf is pictured on page 49; the instructions begin on page 53. This is a very good example of how a different yarn can give a whole new look to a project.



You might notice that my scarf is decidedly different than the one pictured in the magazine. Instead of using sportweight mercerized cotton at 5 sts/inch, I made my version with fingering-weight cashmere at 8 sts/inch. I didn't save any notes on this project, but I believe I used size 3 or 4 (3.25 or 3.5 mm) needles. I followed the instructions exactly as written and worked the number of pattern repeats specified.

The original scarf measured 82 1/2" long and 12 1/2" wide at the widest point; mine measures about 80" long and 8" wide at the widest point. It has probably stretched through the years because I remember that it was both shorter and narrower than the original, which was my intention.

If I were to knit it again, I'd make the tails shorter by working the leaf chart just one (not six) times at each end of the triangular garter-stitch section.

3 comments:

May said...

Hi Ann,

Thanks for sharing information on the pattern. I want to make a scarf that is more decorative than my usual garter stitch scarves in sock yarn and this one seems to fit the bill.

Anonymous said...

This is such a nice photo of you! You should use this one more often! :D

Eli Barry said...

Grateful for sharingg this